Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The ups and downs of pet ownership...




My pets are the little joys of my life.  I have 2 dogs, Buckley Roo and Pearl, a cat Tug Boat, and some random fish.  Buckley and Pearl are both rescued abused dogs and the most kind and loving dogs in the world.  Tug Boat is also a rescue but unlike the other guys I actually got him as a tiny kitten.  Growing up we were known as the family with the zoo.  We always had a plethora of different species, from sheep and chickens to your run of the mill "normal" pets like cats, dogs, hamsters....etc.  My dad (hmm he needs a nickname, we shall call him The Old Man) used to threaten to move out into the shed if we got one more pet, we always told him that we hoped he would be warm enough out there and kept bringing in more.  He never actually moved out on us, and now even after he has no more fatherly duties to our pets he got one all of his own, Sancho Sunshine the cat, so I think secretly he loved all the animals.  My mom (from henceforth MomBear) has her own little animal collection, a dog, Star, and several birds of different species.  J, A, and Baby C have 2 wonderful cats, Sir Winston Churchill and Margaret Thatcher.  Just Noops is pet-less right now but he's not happy about it.

This weekend has not been a good weekend for Tuggy, but it has been an informative weekend for me in terms of some thoughts I had for the future.  I have been thinking about training to become a vet tech, well I got myself a quick course in cat care.  I came home on Saturday to find Tug howling in pain, so made a quick call to the on-call vet and raced him over there.  I don't want to gross anyone out, but basically male cats don't have the best designed urinary system so he was completely blocked and needed a belly shave and drugs and minor surgery of sorts.  I tried to make the best out of a difficult situation by plying the vet for information about becoming a tech and she was great!  She said given my history of animals and various previous animal injuries and treatments that I would be more than qualified for this sort of career.  She also taught me how to care for Tug for the rest of the weekend till I could get him to his normal vet on Monday.  I was responsible to do what Tug's poor little bladder couldn't do.  Like I said flash course in being a vet tech.  It was very motivating for me to really start looking into some schooling.  I will be much happier to work on an animal that isn't mine though, very nerve wracking and upsetting.  Little Tug is now staying for a few nights with his normal vet, so though I am thankful to be getting the sleep I missed out on over the weekend of care I am very freaked out about what the vet bill is going to look like.

If anyone has any information on good schools or programs, let me know!  But for now I will end this post with some fun pictures of my "kids", enjoy! (umm posting the pics at the end of this post doesn't seem to be working so they are on top now...)

No comments:

Post a Comment