Saturday, April 14, 2012

To Jane & Julianna with all my love...

Well after a two year hiatus from blogging a lot has changed in my life. I actually made the jump and have been working full time as a veterinary technician for two years now. I am also happily in a relationship with an amazing guy who seems to fill in all the voids I have while at the same time enhancing all that we have in common. I feel very blessed.

Today did hold some sadness though. Many years ago my beloved grandmother passed away after a battle with Alzheimer's. At the same time I met my, at the time, boyfriend's grandmother. Grams was so much like my own Grandma that I think without meaning to my subconscious just replaced the one with the other. I was unable to attend my Grandmother's funeral and that coupled with Gram's living next door to me for two+ years clinched my mental swap. Unfortunately as I met Grams she began her own slide into late stage Alzheimer's. I would sit with Grams almost every day, for hours at times, and let her tell me story after story of her life. Those were wonderful times. After my relationship ended it became harder for me to spend time with her because in her mind nothing had changed and I was still supposed to be living next door to her with her grandson. He was with someone else and I didn't want to confuse things for Grams more than necessary. So, I stayed away, but my heart never left her side. On Monday Grams passed away and today I attended her funeral. It was harder than I would have ever imagined because I was not only saying goodbye to her but to both amazing women, Grams and my own Grandma. I will always love you both. You both taught me wonderful things about being a strong and loving woman. I want to thank you both for everything, you were truly some of life's greatest blessings.

1 comment:

  1. oh Meliss i'm so sorry to hear about Grams. I'm so glad you were able to grieve her and celebrate her life at her funeral and that you might have found more closure with Grandma. Even know you continue to be an amazing granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete